Saturday 13 July 2013

Alternative to one-time disposable grills

Some years ago I happily found a small grill on a grocery shop I stopped by on a sailing trip. I love all
food that is grilled, but I'm not a big fan of these one-time disposable grills that are sold everywhere. They make a lot of waste and we often don't have the time to sit and wait for it to get cold so that we can pack it with us and dispose it appropriately. And bringing a big, fancy grill is out of the question when you have a lot of other stuff to carry, like last weekend when we went to Trolltunga.

The fantastic little grill of mine comes with these briquettes made of coconut shells that are 100% natural. Sounds fantastic, BUT they don't really work in my experience. We've tried them in different climate and weather, but they don't give the promised heat and the smell is really bad.


Last weekend we actually gave up, and ended up making dinner on the multifuel instead. Tasted delicious by the way! ;-)


So now I have given up on this coconut shell stuff and bought coal instead. And at least I found some made from sustainable wood.























For more info on the grill, check Naturvernforbundet. The grill itself is great, and it has a fireproof mat to put it on in order to avoid fire and not make any scars in nature. The little bag it comes in makes it easy to pack and you don't have wait until it is totally cold to pack it. I really recommend it, just not the coconutstuff!

Happy grillings! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment