Monday 14 January 2013

The Dead Sea

I also manage to take a short trip to Israel during my vacation and got to visit Jerusalem and Bethlehem. It was a long bus journey for some short hours, but I must say it is nice to have been there. It did however make me a bit sad, as the area is ruined by the constant conflicts. And the wall they are now building across the city is just reminding me of the Berlin wall...

That aside, it was quite special to be at this place just a few days before Christmas with all the pilgrims visiting. We did a speedy sightseeing and got to see a lot of the most important places, such as the church where Jesus was born (Bethlehem) and the place where his grave is (Jerusalem). Our guide was very eager to explain us everything, but when he started talking about the crusifiction etc, all I could think about was Monty Pyton's "Life of Brian" and the the song "Always look at the bright side of life". I know this was completely inappropriate, as these things are very important for believers, but you know how it is when you start giggeling when you are not supposed to and cannot stop?! Luckily, one of my fellow travelers had just as bad sense of humour as me!




On our way back to Egypt, we stopped by the Dead Sea. I found it too cold to take a swim, but at least I dipped my toes into the salty water....


Others were more brave than me, and these Russians were happily floating around holding hands and wearing funky bathingshoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment