Sunday 6 January 2013

Bedouin life

One of the things I wanted to do while in Egypt was to stay with some Bedouins in the desert. I tried to find some sort of arranged trip, but nothing was available as it was low season. A very nice guide did however arrange for me to come and visit a new oasis that was just discovered two months ago. They were still building up this place and no tourists had been there yet. But I was welcome to come and spend a night with the Bedouin family in the area. So off we went!!

Our home for the night. "Looking for a toilet?! Dig your own!"

The "kitchen" to the left. The tent we slept in to the right.


The Bedouin boss dominating this area, happily sharing his dinner with me. The antibac my mother had instructed me to use was quite a waste at this stage...

The view I woke up to. Quite different from the mountains at home...


A builder from Luxor that was helping building up this area was enjoying his "herbal" morning smoke and came over for a chat. The more he smoked the more talkative he got. I didn't understand any of it... Haha... 

About two years ago, an American female tourist was kidnapped in this valley. I think I was glad I got this information on our way home, not when we were sleeping right near by it... Apparently, it was the Bedouin family that I was staying with that helped freeing her and got her safely back. 



The Bedouin boss' eldest son (11 years old) showing the way with his camel. The camel was named after a bold sheep or something like that - I have a feeling that something got lost in translation on that part...

Jetboil and Multifuel go home!!! This is how it should be done!!

Lunchtime, a bit in hiding for the winds that blew the sand everywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment