Thursday 16 August 2012

South Downs Way

I lived and worked a couple of years in London. While I was there, I tried to do some hiking - and I was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful nature and how easy it was to get around. The train takes you everywhere!

The South Downs Way is a very nice hike is along the south coast of England. It is quite long, but I walked a short part of it a weekend at the end of April. The weather was great - much warmer than predicted, so I got roasted in the tent and a bad sunburn. But it was definately worth it! I started from a little trainstop (to call it a trainstation is overrated, it was just a stop in the middle of nowhere) and set off up a hill and down on the other side to a small village called Alfriston.
.

The first hill up from the trainstop. Very comfy to walk on the grass!


On the top of the hill I met these creatures. MUST be on steroids!!



The charming village Alfriston where I had lunch at a small bakery.


After Alfriston I started to walk towards the coast. I got a bit lost (as usual!), but found the campsite I had planned to stay at, Foxhole Bottom. I did however have a little pitstop on the way on a local pub that all of a sudden showed up in the middle of my path (just to clarify, I was lost before the pub, not after! haha...). That is the nice thing about hiking in the UK: there is always a pub nearby! And you walk through these nice Postman Pat villages with really friendly people. If you do not want to stay in a tent, there are plenty of B&Bs.


My tiny tent. I crawled out of it around 7am in the morning to get some air, it was like an oven inside!


On day two I came out to the coast and started on my walk along the cliffs called The Seven Sisters. They must have been a bit bad with numbers when they gave the cliffs their names, as there are actually eight cliffs. Or maybe "the eight sisters" doesn't sound that nice!?! I don't know.


Some of the first cliffs of the Seven Sisters. The walk is quite pleasant even if it is a lot uphill and downhill. And uphill and downhill.


The good old KvikkLunsj saved me again, as the British version of Real Turmat was uneatable and I then only had tea and some nuts and raisins for breakfast.

About halfway towars Eastbourne, there was a hotel marked on the map. I was eagerly walking towards it with a rumbling stomach after my breakfast plans had failed miserably. I was quite devasated when I realised that the place was closed due to reconstruction. Luckily, there was a hot dog van nearby, so I had the worst luch ever and the biggest coke they sold and happily continued towards Beachy Head and then Eastbourne. On the way I had the company of two Dutch hikers with some funny experiences from British campsites. Good entertainment!

Birling Gap - unfortunately closed for reconstruction.


Beachy Head - a landmark on the south east coast of England.


The pier in Eastbourne. I was so happy when I finally reached the city and found the train back to London. The weather and the hike was amazing, but my feet were full of blisters and my whole right side was sunburnt from walking with the sun on the same side for two days. Felt like half of my skin had schrunk a size or two!

For the whole South Downs Way, see here .

No comments:

Post a Comment